Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hanging Church in Old Cairo

The tour of the old city began at the Hanging Church in Cairo.
It is a magnificent church as are most old churches. It is called the Hanging Church because it is suspended above the gatehouse of a Babylon fortress.

I am not sure if you can even tell by the following pictures that it is, in fact, hanging. The first picture is the entrance to go up the steps to get to the church and the second picture is looking down.


I could feel the energy of this church, but no real experiences for me here. I almost wonder if I am just burnt out because it is the end of the trip. But here are some more pictures of the church. I love stained glass windows and this one is so deeply in color.

This piece is real ivory and wood. It is magnificent to look at. Everything is so ornate and detailed in this church. It is really quite beauiful.


1.16.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment