Thursday, August 1, 2013

Recipe for a Healing Summer Salad

I have been playing with my food again.  Do you ever do that?  You know, those times you get bored with eating or you look at the food in your fridge and think what am I going to make?   Well, if you don't know what I mean...imagine it.  You open the refrigerator and you see salad greens, you see spinach and you see watermelon.  You think to yourself.  Not another greens salad.  That is what I mean.   In the last several years, I have upped my game in cooking and baking because I really don't like that bored, tired feeling with food.

So,  I've gotten really creative particularly in the last few years.  And, while I am not a Vegetarian/Vegan or any other "diet" follower, with the exception of being Gluten Free. I am an Intuitive Eater. What does that mean? It means I eat what my body craves.  The beauty of really knowing your body/energy is that you are able to listen to it and respond to it.   Which brings me to today's recipe that is just a really yummy/easy/ quick/healthy/healing summer salad..  Why is it all those adjectives?  Well to answer that question you will have to make the recipe.  But I will share why this recipe is a healing summer salad.

Spinach Watermelon Salad  Serves 2-4

4 c. Raw Spinach
2 c. Fresh Watermelon (cut in chunks)
3/4 c. Roasted Almonds (You can slice, chop or leave them whole.)
1/2 c. Goat Cheese Crumbled
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

Since the car accident, I have had a lot of pain and an increase inflammation in my body. I look to my supplements, alternative techniques and my diet to help reduce inflammation.  I've been craving watermelon and spinach a lot lately not really knowing that they both have anti-inflammatory properties.  This recipe has all around good balance, good source of vitamins and minerals and a great taste. Inflammation is not only the cause of physical pain, but it is also the precursor for many diseases such as: cancer, diabetes and heart disease.  So in essence this salad is a great healer and a preventative measure.  Not to mention it hits the taste buds perfectly !   When I cook making sure all the sensations that I need to satisfy me are covered such as: sweet, crunchy, spicy, softy, flavorful, I find there is no need to overeat or want anything more.  Enjoy the Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment