Saturday, August 10, 2013

Quick, Easy Healthy Heart Cookie

Okay, yep at it again, baking so much fun, but when you don't feel well--you want quick and easy.  I had a horribly strong, sweet craving last week and wasn't feeling well. The funny thing is that I don't/can't buy stuff in the store. I don't like processed foods and I don't like pre-made gluten free cookies so if I want something I have to make it myself.  Not saying a bakery is not an option, but quite often I find that bakeries tend to make things a little over the top sweet for my liking.  So, I bake/create/improve, which in essence simply means, I improvise and make it better for me.  I contacted my friend who made these amazing Macaroon Cookies for me when I couldn't bake, let alone cook when I was really bad with pain and couldn't comprehend standing.  So, thank you Kristie for your dedication to gluten free, healthy cookies.  She got the recipe from someone's website where these cookies can be used even if you are doing a "detox" food cleansing.

Well, I don't have the patience to follow the exact recipe which you can find at http://detoxinista.com/2010/09/macaroon-fairy/ and nor did I have all the ingredients so I improvised with shorter list of ingredients. Here 's my recipe:

Recipe: 
Heart Shaped Healthy Coconut Macaroons 

Tools Needed:
Bowl, Parchment Paper (or Aluminum Foil), Metal Cookie Cutter, Wooden Spoon, Silicone Scraper, teaspoon.

Ingredients:
2 cups Raw, Unsweetened Coconut*
1 1/2  tsps. Vanilla
1 tsp. Himalayan Salt**
1/2-3/4 c. Pure, Grade B Maple Syrup***

I mixed all ingredients into a metal bowl and they were a little mushy and didn't hold well together--hence why the other recipe calls for some of the coconut to be made into a butter. Anyway, I didn't want to stand while my little Magic Bullet ground the coconut into a paste/butter (standing too long was not good for someone not feeling well).  So instead, I got a metal heart-shaped cookie cutter (ya'll know me and hearts). I used aluminum foil--you can use Parchment Paper as well ( I had run out) and placed the cookie cutter down to fill.  I used the teaspoon to fill the cookie cutter and press it firmly into shape and removed the cookie cookie carefully.  I continued and made a dozen hearts.  Then it was time to bake.

Preheat Oven: 300 degrees and Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.

 I say 25-35 minutes because at 25 minutes (in my oven) they were moist and chewy (I couldn't wait to try one and it fell apart).  I decided to see what happened when I cooked half the dozen another ten minutes.  Well, they hardened and became crunchy almost like the texture of a Rice Crispy Treat (I used to make those a lot as a kid), but a little crunchier.  As you know, I like crunchy foods so I kind of liked them crunchy.  They have a shelf life of 5 days if you can make them last that long. Mine lasted only 2 1/2 days--I didn't count the half day that I made them. :)

Why do I consider these really healthy? 

Quick Benefits to Coconut....
• Lowers cholesterol,  Improves digestion, Fights off viruses, Regulates hormones, Increases thyroid production, Helps you lose weight, increases and more.
Read more: http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/coconut-health-benefits#ixzz2bZvvoVh5

Quick Benefits of Himalayan Salt...
Promotes a healthy PH to your cells, Supports Respiratory Health, Reduces Muscle Cramps, Promotes Sinus Health, Promoting Vascular Health...and more
Read more: http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/

Quick Benefits of Maple syrup...contains calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper and significant source of the mineral manganese
Read more: World's Healthiest Foods

Let me know what you think when you try them!


*I never buy sweetened coconut--too sweet.
**I use only Himalyan Salt or Kosher Sea Salt for cooking, but mostly Himalayan.
***I always buy Grade B--I know you all thought Grade A was the best because in school it is better to get an A than a B.  Well, Grade A is the lighter syrup  more processed and B is the heavier syrup less processed. It is because of the Mineral Content--which is much better and often needed in our bodies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment